Pages

Monday 27 October 2014

A Day in the Life of the Concierge at Oulton Hall

This is the third in our three-part series looking at what goes on behind the scenes at a luxury country hotel. In this article our ‘blogger in residence’ spent time with the concierge.

Albeit slightly in reverse the last but certainly not least member of Oulton Hall’s team I spent time with was Ian the concierge. Already, briefly introduced when I first arrived at the beautiful manor as he efficiently swept in to pull my bag out of the taxi and show me to reception, Ian was a delight to be re-united with. Like the grandfather you never had, he makes you feel instantly at ease giving a wonderful first impression to Oulton Hall’s arriving guests. Often overlooked, the concierge’s role is one of the most important, as apart from the magnificent view as you pull up the long, winding drive, he is the first member of staff you will meet and as the first and last impression counts for so much at a hotel, Ian is the perfect ambassador.

Concierge 

A smile constantly but yet naturally and easily on his face, Ian’s gentle manner will make anyone feel at ease as they step across the threshold. Bags and belonging removed from your grasp, he will quickly lead you to ladies manning the front desk before guiding you to your room if it isn’t busy or ensuring that your bags will be there shortly. Smartly dressed in grey trousers, pristine white shirt and black tail coat, he gives off the perfect first impression which in a way puts the rest of the hotel and staff under pressure to deliver their services and appearance to a very high standard.

Oulton Hall Reception
Not exactly in his duties, I was very lucky to be given a grand tour of the golf clubhouse also known as the Claret Jug which houses a swish golf shop equipped with all necessities and relaxed restaurant with comfy sofa’s, large flat screen TVs and balcony with views out onto the course. It’s the perfect place to unwind after a round of golf or simply soak up the atmosphere and watch the latest games with a pint or two. Not a massive fan, I have never actually participated in a round of golf let alone drive a golf buggy but this didn’t put Ian off as he encouraged me to take the wheel so I could get the ‘full Oulton experience’.

Slightly shaking, I do as I am told and put my foot down on the pedal and off we go, somehow managing to keep my cool as we whizz around the grounds (maybe not smoothly) and chat about his past at Claridges, digging for gossip about the A list celebs.

Oulton Hall Panorama


Starting to feel comfortable in the driver’s seat, I am enthusiastically informed that I have to experience the full ‘Pepsi Max’. No, I didn’t have to down the drink in one; ‘Pepsi Max’ is Ian’s own indulgence and mini thrill ride. Before I knew it, I was revving up the rocky hill path, around some trees and being instructed to put my foot down (yes I realise the vehicles are capped at their minimal speed limit of 10mph but still) and too scared to rebel I found myself hurtling down the other side and over a small bump! Stomach in mouth, I turn to look at my companion who is chuckling to himself at my poor lack of bravery. Needless to say this concierge is a cheeky one!

As the ride comes to an end, we head back to the clubhouse, where I tactfully decline a golf lesson from the secret pro and head back to the hotel and part ways. Sad to be leaving the company of this lovely gentleman, the next time I see him is on my departure, where his service is still of a high standard; carrying my bags to the taxi and ensuring I had everything and enjoyed my stay before saying farewell with a little bow. If you weren’t satisfied with your stay at the hotel – which I imagine is very rare, you are certainly left with a feeling of content from Ian’s impeccable service.

The Details
Oulton Hall, Rochwell Lane, Oulton, Leeds, Yorkshire, LS26 8HN
Tel: +44 (0)113 282 1000
Web: www.devere-hotels.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment