Pages

Monday 27 October 2014

Head Housekeeper at Oulten Hall

The first in a three part series looking at what goes on behind the scenes at a luxury country hotel for OMOTG.com based on ‘blogger in residence’ - here about my time with the Head Housekeeper at Oulton Hall near Leeds in Yorkshire.

Perched on a vintage, emerald green rather uncomfortable chair in the entrance I click away a few snaps of the reception as I wait to meet the Head Housekeeper. A few moments later, I am introduced to said housekeeper Anne, as I follow her to what can best be described as a very small office.

Unsure of where to take a seat as I am instructed to, for there seems to be folders and pieces of paper everywhere and I have no idea how more than two people could be squeezed in at once but I am assured that it is ‘organised clutter’!

At 11:00am, Anne is already five hours into her day with the first round of her chores done. To you and me, the mundane tasks of collating room reports of guests which are departing, arriving and staying and allocating said rooms to different maids to list making and room ‘inspections’ may seem simple and non rewarding but these strict procedures and necessary to do’s are anything but and without such organisation, it is more than likely Oulton Hall would not run as smoothly as its reputation projects.

Oulton Hall
Again reminded of the choice of three types of accommodation from standard, traditional rooms to the recently refurbished doubles and suites, I am quick to learn that whilst the overall process is the same, simple and subtle changes and elaborations make the rooms different, such as the standard rooms not being kitted out with spa toiletries (fortunately I was staying in a refurbished double with said toiletries)!


Oulton Hall LobbyWith so many people burdened with a number of OCD tendencies these days, Anne doesn’t fall exempt and as head housekeeper they are probably heighted. “The bed is the focal point of the room” and as one of her many maids would inform you, I am sure if the bed isn’t right then everything looks wrong! Sheets pulled tight and tucked under with no marks or scuffed, cushions plumped and duvets spread even, there is a certain way she wants them made and I am left without a doubt, I would never be employed as there is no way I could get them to look this way! “It is the little things” she drums into me that make a guest’s stay a pleasant or dreadful experience, so attention to detail is essential as you “don’t want to walk into the bathroom to find hairs everywhere” – I know I would be complaining especially with my phobias.

Insistent on squeezing in lunch, between 12:00 and 12:30pm, you will find Anne retreating back to her office to chow down some much needed substance before heading back out of her cubby hole for more room inspections and task delegations. From a bright blue folder, she pulls out previous sheets to demonstrate how they have a colour system in place to inform whether rooms are ready or need attending to, and whether guests have made certain requests for their stay.
Bedroom
 
A true romantic at heart, I can completely see the place as one perfect for a proposal with many couples retreating to the picturesque grounds and vintage suites for romantic weekends away, prompting me to ask about special arrangements. Chatting away, she certainly holds no praise for the male take on creativity and often finds herself talking them through the usual decoration of rose petals on the beds, champagne chilling and tokens of affection in the form of chocolates and bouquets (could I not have had this arranged for my arrival, the idea of being snuggled in my robe and slippers whilst munching on choccies and sipping champagne would go down quite nicely).

Housekeeper
A slight random change of subject, we go from loved up couples to those doting on their canine companions and the type of service which is accompanied. Those who love nothing better than a weekend away in the country, taking their pooch on long walks (I am thinking of my mum and her partner) are in luck as Oulton Hall is nothing but dog friendly with ground floor rooms equipped with doors onto balconies and soft, comfy beds. Gifts of affection don’t stop short on these four legged creatures with ‘doggy gift package’ waiting on arrival including rubber toy and a chewy, prompting me to question whether it was the dogs being treated like royalty and spoilt my the housekeeping staff rather than the owners.

With the long day coming to an end around 5.30pm, the night supervisor takes centre stage after receiving detailed notes, sheets and tasks from Anne so the good work carries on straight through the night.

Sensing I have long overstayed my welcome and her itching to get back to her busy schedule, I grab one last question about her attitude to work. “To be honest I do whatever it takes to keep my department running and with such a good team put together it doesn’t feel such a burden as some may think”.

Just by looking at the hotel, it is safe to say Anne keeps her team under a tight rein with jobs being carried out to the highest level and careful attention paid to guest requests and needs. She may love it but I think for now I will stick to writing as my inspection skills aren’t quite up to scratch!

The Details
 
Oulton Hall, Rochwell Lane, Oulton, Leeds, Yorkshire, LS26 8HN
Tel: +44 (0)113 282 1000
Web: www.devere-hotels.co.uk


Jenifer Howard is a London based freelance writer and recently stayed at Oulton Hall as a ‘blogger in residence’. She spent some time working with the Head Housekeeper, Head Butler and Concierge to get a behind the scenes look at what goes into making a hotel tick and run smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment